The original Paramount Theatre, in Lethbridge, Alberta, was constructed in 1950 for Majestic Theatres Ltd., having a capacity of 1000 seats including a Guest Balcony for distinguished guests to watch a performance or movie. In 1968 it was decided that a second theatre was needed and an additional 500 seat theatre was added onto the remaining northeast corner of the site. After many years of entertainment to the City of Lethbridge, the theatre was decommissioned in 2007.
Urban Insight Development Group Limited had purchased the building and envisioned a 2 storey renovation of the building into office and boutique shops. Alvin Fritz Architect Inc. designed the building with a public walkway through the building connecting 4th Avenue and 8th Street, allowing pedestrians to stroll through the building bringing them by the new shops and boutiques. The pedestrian walkway is greeted by an interior mezzanine that is given daylight by 2 large skylights over the open floor area.
The existing ceiling structures were removed to show the large steel trusses which are being left exposed to add a modern feel to the historical building. The original sloped floors were covered over to allow for a level surface for the boutique and office spaces.
The renovated building will have a total of 33,000 SF of rentable area which includes 18,000 SF of office space, 7,500 SF of restaurant and lounge space, and 7,500 SF of street-front retail space.